Sunday, July 1, 2012

JOHN U LLOYD BEACH STATE PARK BIKE RIDE

Arial View of the north end of John U Lloyd State Park
With the temperature soaring to 89 degrees during this morning’s bike ride, my 22nd day in a row on the bike sure was a hot one. 

The wind was reportedly coming from the southeast at 4 mph, but that’s a little deceiving when riding along the Atlantic Ocean. We could safely double that wind-speed and come up with a more accurate wind measurement.

All riding this morning was done in John U Lloyd Beach State Park, a 2.3 mile stretch of beach sand, sea grapes and asphalt roadway. 

On the east side of the park is the Atlantic Ocean and on the west side is the Intracoastal Waterway. The park begins at Dania Beach on the south and ends at Port Everglades on the north.


The first 18 miles this morning, I rode with two of my marathon friends, both ladies who excel at both running and cycling. My wife, who also runs marathons, was absent because she had to work this morning.

From 18 miles to 31.14 miles, I rode by my lonesome. Well, not exactly. There must have been 75 to 100 other cyclists riding on the narrow road along with numerous runners and walkers doing their thing. One thing about South Florida, everywhere you look you’ll see hundreds of runners, walkers and cyclists. And you’ll see this year round, not just in the summer.

This morning’s 31+ miles puts me slightly over 200 cycling miles for the week, my longest to date.

This morning’s ride had an elevation gain of 200 feet and an elevation loss of 184 feet. I must still be on top of that one 4% incline/decline bridge.

Ride Stats
Miles:  31.14
Time:  2:06:20
Average Pace:  14.8 mph
Average Heart Rate:  121
Elevation Gain:  200 feet
Calories Burned:  792


No comments:

Post a Comment