Sunday, July 8, 2012

SUNDAY CLUB BIKE RIDE

This morning’s cycling-club bike ride was my 29th day-in-a-row biking, and boy was it a hot one. Complaining, I’m not! I’m simply conveying what others are grumbling about. I recall hearing similar grievances about the weather during the winter months when it was chilly and windy. Kind of reminds me of “Goldilocks and the Three Bears.”

After parting from the group at mile 27, knowing that they were ending their day’s ride at 28 miles, I continued eastbound along St. Rd. 84 until a turn-a-round was necessary. I then rode along the south side of the canal keeping a watchful eye for man-eating alligators and those small darting dinosaurs. I saw neither, but I know the suckers were eye-balling me. I could feel the stares!

I then entered Markham Park from the newly built biking lane. After taking less than a one-minute break underneath a large oak tree, I circled the park once and then did some hill training on a road that has four small hills with inclines just short of 5 degrees. The smallish hills didn’t take much of an effort, but they’re about all we have down here in the flat swampland of South Florida.

After ending my ride at the diner’s parking lot, I ran into Sandy S. He, too, was ending his morning ride – but his was more miles and took more effort. He rode with the advanced group while I rode with the intermediate group.

I like to think that my ride this morning was a recovery ride from yesterday’s recovery ride from the previous day’s recovery ride… Well, you get the picture, I hope.

RIDE STATS:
Distance: 35.43
Time:  02:29:39
Average Speed:  14.2 mph
Average/Max Heart-Rate:  111/150
Calories Burned:  751
Elevation Gain:  91 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment