Thursday, July 12, 2012

SOLO BIKE RIDE IN COUNTY PARK

1985 Ross All-Steel Road Bike
One of my favorite things to do as a retiree is to ride my bike in the county park that is located ½ mile from our home, while appreciatively taking in all the tropical scenery and wild-life. I love to listen to the rush-hour traffic and emergency sirens outside the border of the park, grateful that I’m no longer a part of the chaos. I also enjoy stopping occasionally to take pictures with my smart phone. That, my friends, is exactly what I did this morning.

Starting out just prior to when the sun made its grand appearance, I rode my old purple, back-up road bike along Johnson Street on the sidewalk, giving praise for my good health and the fact that I’m able to ride, walk and live in such beautiful surroundings. No one on this strikingly gorgeous earth should live any less than I, but sadly that just isn’t the case.

Typical Park Scene
My remarkable wife didn’t come along on this ride only because of her work schedule. I missed her perpetual smile, her witty comments and her occasional pull when riding around the park’s main 1.65 mile circular road. LOL

Just before zig zagging along all of the park’s roads and walking trails, I ran into one of our cycling friends, a female biker that can ride circles around me and most other male bikers. She was waiting for her usual Tuesday and Thursday morning riding partner.

After wishing her a buenos dias (She is Spanish), and after chatting for a minute or two, I left the parking area for my first of 33+ miles.

Two Angry Territorial Geese
Stopping me in my tracks at one point was two territorial Geese that seemed determined to protect what they thought was their terrain, the walking/riding trail. I used their determined stand as a photo op, quickly snapping three pictures and then high-tailing it out of there before they got really annoyed. One thing I’ve learned from previous runs and rides in the park is that you don’t want to PO the geese.

With an average temperature of 81 degrees with overcasts skies, the weather was perfect. Hardly a hint of breeze was felt while cycling on the narrow roadways and even narrower riding/walking trails.

No darting dinosaurs running across my path today – only bushy-tailed grey squirrels.  Oh, and the geese!

All in all, it was a peaceful day in the park.

RIDE STATS:
Distance: 33.5 miles
Riding Time: 02:50:09
Average Speed: 11.8 mph
Average/Max HR: 106/135
Calories Burned: 1,198
Elevation Gain: 210 feet
Consecutive Days Cycling: 33

No comments:

Post a Comment