Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day Bike Ride

Considering that my first four miles was done at a 6 mph pace while riding alongside my wife as she did a training run, I was well pleased with my 25th daily bike ride in a row.

The average temperature was 86 degrees, but man was it ever humid. The heat index was just below 100 degrees. A slight rain shower just prior to our ride made for damp roads and even more humidity.

We had a rather small group today, only three of us, as several of our biking amigos had holiday plans or rode with larger groups supported by individual biking clubs. I chose to ride with the mall guys mainly because riding with them gave me a chance to be with my wife during her training prior to our 8 a.m. pedals up. Ride with a large biking group or ride alongside my wife? No contest - I’ll choose riding alongside my pretty lady any day.

The town of Weston, which is where we stop for coffee, sponsored an Independence Day 5K earlier this morning – hence a lot of runners and walkers crowding the coffee and bagel shop. Every one of them looked to be a sweaty mess with a broad smile. Intense, satisfying exercise does that to you.

Ride Stats:
Distance: 28.00 miles
Time: 02:18:42
Average Speed: 12.1 mph
Average Heart Rate: 111
Calories Burned: 714
Average Temperature: 86 degrees
Elevation Gain: 121 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment