Sunday, June 23, 2013

CYCLING THROUGH THREE CITIES ON MY MTN. BIKE

 
Rather than joining one of my cycling club’s Sunday morning rides, where everyone rides one wheel-length behind one another while staring at each other’s fat buttocks and spinning rear wheel, I opted to take my new Mtn. bike out for a relaxing, scenic sidewalk-type ride through the cities of Miramar, Pembroke Pines and Cooper City.

Doing so gave me the continuous option of turning wherever I wanted to turn, stopping whenever I wanted to stop, and pedaling the speed that satisfied me and not the speed that satisfied some unproven ride leader and his/her obedient pack. Not that there’s anything wrong with club pace-line cycling, it’s just that I prefer to be independent of the masses – and that goes for my non-cycling life as well.

Adding to the joy of this morning’s 16-miler was the occasional light rain showers that passed through the area. They were more like misty events than rain events, just enough mist to keep you cooled off from the morning humidity and low 80’s temps.

Nice, also, was the lack of motor-vehicle traffic at intersections. The streets were quiet and the sidewalks were nearly empty of humans and dogs. Only once did I have a need to stop my bike on the sidewalks, and that was when a pace-line of ducks was crossing the street and sidewalk in route to one of many lakes that embellish this area.

I loved today’s bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment