Wednesday, February 20, 2013

INTERMEDIATE GROUP BIKE RIDE

This morning’s bike ride was another one of those bike rides that incorporated all types of terrain and speeds, from walking our bikes across a grassy field because of construction to fast-peddling our bikes through Weston and the Southwest Ranches. And in my case, I had to ride the bumpy sidewalks for two miles just to the meet up with my cycling companions prior to our 8 a.m. departure.

Like most Wednesday morning bike rides within our circle of cyclists, each cyclist has a choice between fast, intermediate and slow. Today there was only fast and intermediate, no slow.

On the out-portion of today’s ride, I rode with the slower intermediate group. On the return-ride, once again I chose to ride with the intermediate group. As a point of interest, four bikers that rode with the fast outbound group joined our intermediate group for the return ride back to the meet-up spot. Their reasons for slowing it down were wide-ranging.

There was one mishap today when Gary failed to click out of his pedals when coming to a stop. He embarrassingly fell while three or four cars loads of passengers starred at he and his fallen bike. One lady yelled out her car window that she has done that numerous times when riding her bike. I think she was trying to make Gary feel better. Other than one skinned up knee and his wounded pride, there was no permanent damage to him or his bike.

When I bid farewell to my cycling mates near the meet-up spot, I aimed for the county park that is located ½ mile from my humble abode. It was there that I added more mileage to my ride, something like six or seven additional miles.

From the 345 acre park to home, the ride was excruciatingly slow because of bumpy sidewalks as well as sprinkler systems that were being tested. There’s nothing like being sprayed by sprinklers near the ride’s end. Actually, with the average temperature right around 78.3 degrees Fahrenheit, the mist felt heavenly.

And so it is with city cycling…

No comments:

Post a Comment