Saturday, February 16, 2013

INTERMEDIATE CLUB BIKE RIDE

This morning’s bike ride, which began and ended in Plantation, FL, was with our club’s intermediate-pace group.  The only other ride option this morning was with the advanced group, and there was no way that I was going to ride in a pace-line at 20+ mph six-inches behind someone's rear wheel - with someone behind my rear wheel at the same distance.    

What began as a ride with eight riders ended up being a ride with seven riders. I’m not quite sure what happened to the husband of one of the female riders, but he was back at the meet-up place when the ride was over with.  He may have become bored with our moderate pace.   

While crossing one of the more busy intersections here in South Florida, the top to one of my water bottles careened off the bottle, jamming itself between my chain and the bike’s frame. When the top finally fell to the ground, the chain sort of cross-chained between the small crank and the large crank. After a quick off-road stop for a chain and derailleur adjustment, I was back on the road and back in the pace line.

Bye, bye bottle top, because I wasn't about to retrieve any bottle top in the middle of a busy South Florida intersection.  Besides, it more than likely was crushed beyond description moments after it hit the asphalt. 

We also did some sprints during today's ride.  Three times, if I recall!  Only once during those sprints did I find myself in the large chain ring. That was the time when I managed to hammer my Felt Z6 up to 25.3 mph and hold it there for a half mile or so.

Average moving pace for the 27.3 miles was 15.3 mph.  We took one break at mile 15 at one of our popular grocery stores.     

The average temperature during today’s ride was 67 degrees. On top of the cool temps, we had 100% cloud coverage and a 7 mph wind coming from the northwest. In my opinion, we had perfect weather for this morning's  fun bike ride.

2 comments:

  1. You got out early enough to beat the wind. I didn't. Finished at 3 in the afternoon. Started at 10 but stopped for lunch almost half way. You also did well not to ride on A1A from a wind standpoint. Other than that it was perfect. I didn't sweat much. Not too hot, some sun, some clouds. Cycling in Florida at this time of year rocks! I just miss the lack of wind in Ambon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the old saying goes, "Timing and location is everything." LOL

    ReplyDelete