Monday, February 25, 2013

DISNEY’S ROYAL FAMILY 5K

I gotta tell you, Walt Disney World really knows how to put on special running events. Last Saturday morning’s Royal Family 5K was no exception.

After arriving at the starting line outside of EPCOT right around 5 o’clock in the morning, my wife and I walked directly to where they were allowing race participants to have their picture taken with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. We were one of the first in line for our keepsake photo.

As usual, Disney put on a gala show of fireworks when the starting gun sounded at 6:30 a.m. And off we went – winding our way through EPCOT’s world showcase, weaving our way around hundreds and hundreds of walkers and runners.

Despite the crowded conditions at certain points on the course, we were overly pleased to finish with an overall walking pace of 15:07 per mile. I was especially pleased since this was my first running/walking event since I burned and crashed (knee) during the 2011 Wine and Dine Half Marathon.

I now know that I can participate in shorter running events and not be picked up by the bus. I am so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment