Tuesday, March 12, 2013

THREE PARK BIKE RIDE WITH MY WIFE

Because I’m still participating in Strava’s “Train like Taylor Challenge,” I needed to log some riding miles today. Knowing that I needed to ride for at least two hours, my lovely wife volunteered to do a three-park ride with me as long as I promised to keep the pace down. I gladly agreed, for her sake and mine!

After loading both bikes into our truck, and then driving to a location that would start us out in a safe area, we began our ride by riding through some upper-class neighborhoods where every house looked like a mansion. Big mansions! Why anyone needs that much living space is beyond me.  I doubt they have that large of families.  Maybe they feel that living in a large house is a status symbol, or maybe they entertain an awful lot!  Who knows!  

We then rode on some horse/jogging/biking trails that took us in the area of Vista View Park http://www.broward.org/Parks/VistaViewPark/Pages/Default.aspx . Once in the park, we rode our bikes all the way to the top of Mt. Trashmore. Whoopie!  The 8% gradient was somewhat of a struggle for my wife, but she made it all the way to the top without having to stop.  I was very proud of her!

We then rode eastward on an asphalt trail that runs along the New River Canal until we were nearly all the way back to our truck. After leaving the trail, we only had to cross one two-lane road to reach the safety of the shopping center and our truck.

After loading our bikes back into the truck for safe keeping, we enjoyed a semi-healthy breakfast at the shopping center's Subway Sandwich Shop.

We then drove the truck to Flamingo Gardens http://www.flamingogardens.org/ , which was less than a mile from the Subway Sandwich Shop. We moved the truck only because I refused to have my wife cross the busy highway on her bike.

After taking the bikes out of the rear of the truck, we then rode on the asphalt trails through Robbins Park http://www.davie-fl.gov/gen/DavieFL_ParksRcrtn/facilities/ROBBINSMAIN and Tree Tops Park http://www.broward.org/Parks/TreeTopsPark/Pages/Default.aspx , dodging large piles of horse poop in the process. This was the first time that my wife had ridden her bike in either park.

We eventually made our way back to our parked truck via the long bike trail that runs alongside the New River Canal east of Flamingo Road.

We both thoroughly enjoyed today’s bike ride – as well as the delicious breakfast at Subways. I’m going to suggest to my biking mates that we periodically stop at Subway’s instead of Einstein’s Bagel Shoppe.

My wife and I plan on remaining home for the rest of the day watching Netflix movies on our big screen TV.

Life is good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment