Monday, March 4, 2013

COLD, COLD BIKE RIDE

I’m almost afraid to say that this morning’s bike ride was a cold ride, because some of you northern peeps may vehemently disagree. In any event, we began our ride when the temperature was right around 43F (6C). For this region of the country, that feels like it is next to freezing.

But to be honest, with the exception of the frozen finger tips and lack of feeling in my toes, the ride was refreshing. It was a far cry from our typical summer, spring and fall rides, when the heat and humidity saps the life out of you.

Perhaps it was the chill in the air that drove me to pick up the speed on one of our Strava segments. I’m not sure! Regardless of the reason, I PR’d on the Salute the Flag South Sprint segment by 2 mph. My average speed for the nearly one-mile sprint was 22.9 mph with my heart beating at an average of 153 bpm. Sandy S PR’d as well and beat me to the end of the segment by 2 seconds. To be quite honest, though, I think he was sandbagging.  

We ended our morning’s ride by biking through Robins Park, a city park that maintains the ambiance of old Florida during the reign of the Seminole Indians - as displayed by the picture on the right.

Nine miles of sidewalk riding lessened my overall pace to a mere 12.1 mph. Take away the sidewalk riding and my overall pace would have been near 15 mph.  That's not very fast in itself, but one must consider that this ride was 100% urban cycling.  

Huge thanks goes to Sandy S, Rey, Stephen and Scott for joining me in the cold and wind, subsequently making this one of our more enjoyable rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment