Saturday, March 23, 2013

GRANFONDO GARNEAU, DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA

With a pedal’s-up time of 7:30 AM and the possibility that several cyclists
would be picking up their ride packets and/or registering minutes before the advertised departure time, I was afraid that parking would be a major issue. With that in mind, I arrived shortly after 6 in the morning only to learn that I was one of few that predicted a bottle-neck at the entrance to the parking garage. Pleasant surprises are always welcome.
 
A quick cell phone call connected me with Rosemary B. who had just picked up her ride packet and was as ready as I was to roll.
 
Our ride group left at 7:39 AM. And even though I carried the cue sheet in one of my jersey’s back pockets, I failed to correct the group when we missed the first turn by a good ½ mile. I should have known better! Talk about being brain dead, I was - as well as everyone else in our group of around 100 bikers.
 
Anyway, once we got going on A1A heading south from George Bush Avenue, we cruised at a moderate speed into the morning breeze until the turnaround point at the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center. The far-south turnaround point was at mile 9. http://www.gumbolimbo.org/
 
From there it was easy pedaling with the wind at our backs. But even though we enjoyed the aid of the wind, Rosemary and I still kept our pace between 16-17 mph. We were very mindful of the return trip, which would have us struggling for 22 straight miles into the developing ocean wind.
 
At the far-north turnaround point, we joined forced with two young ladies. Our plan was for the four of us to stay together and switch the lead often. I’m not quite sure what happened, because five or six miles from the finish line the two young ladies were far behind Rosemary and me.
 
According to my Garmin Edge 500, we crossed the finish line right at 4 hours and 28 minutes, giving us an overall riding pace of 14.0 mph for the 62.55 mile ride. We were pleased with our overall pace considering what we had to endure the last 22 miles. The ocean wind had picked up to well over 20 mph. The average temperature was 83F.
 
After finishing our ride, we were not very pleased when we were forced to search for our finisher’s medals. In my opinion, no one should have to search for what they earned after riding a bike for nearly 63 miles.
 
After asking several riders and volunteers where we collect our medals, a knowledgeable passerby that was wearing a medal around his neck advised us that the medals were being handed out at the entrance to the food and beer tent. Next time we will know, should there be a next time.
 
As expected, the course was beautiful. What’s not to like about riding along the Atlantic Ocean on A1A! But the course was poorly marked. And the only cyclists that had police assistance were the super-fast cyclists. I’m learning that this is typical of most cycling events.
 
The food was sub-par and the beer sucked. Worst beer I have ever drunk. I ended up joining my wife for lunch at her work place, which made for a good ending to an enjoyable ride with one of my favorite Daily Mile friends, Rosemary B.

No comments:

Post a Comment