Saturday, March 16, 2013

EXPLORATION BIKE RIDE

I had intended to go out much earlier this morning for an experienced club ride, but my left knee begged for a break from fast, hard spinning. Being the nice guy that I am, I gave in to my knee’s incessant pleading.

But not to be deterred by a simple issue like a clicking knee, I volunteered to drive my wife to work this morning and then leave from her work place in search of a slow-paced cycling route on sidewalks and trails. In the process of exploring, I knew that I would reach the 75 minutes needed to complete Strava’s "Train Like Taylor Challenge," where all challengers had to bike 31 hours and 51 minutes in 16 days.

I believe I've found an acceptable route for my wife’s skill level and to her liking, where most of the riding would be on wide asphalt biking trails. She doesn't like dealing with ignorant motorcar drivers, and neither do I. Who can blame us, right?

Very few places on today’s route were not on sidewalks and trails, and those few places were in single family home areas with a country flare. The only danger in those areas is being run down by a galloping horse and rider.

There was one place, however, where I actually dismounted and then walked ¼ of a mile carrying my bike on my shoulder. There is mega construction taking place at Flamingo Rd. and Interstate 595, so there is no safe way to get from eastbound State Rd 84 to the service road on the south side of Flamingo Road.

While carrying my bike in the grassy area that runs parallel to Flamingo Road, two automobiles stopped to ask if they could assist. I thought that was very nice of them. I suppose I did look like a biker in distress, walking in the grass with a 19 pound road bike resting on my right shoulder.

I assured them that I was fine, and that I was just safely walking my bike to the service road instead of riding against traffic on a heavily traveled road. Both of them fully understood, because they are bikers themselves. You see, both of them had finished their individual morning rides and were headed home with their bikes racked on the back of their vehicles.

One of many things that I love about cycling is the fact that cyclists will always help fellow cyclists. Bicyclists are seldom alone when out on the roads, sidewalks and trails. Today was no exception!

No comments:

Post a Comment