Saturday, September 1, 2012

2012 Tour of Sebring Metric Century

With an average temperature of 89.7 and a maximum temperature of 105.8 in the sun, this was without a doubt the hottest metric century that I have ever completed. It wasn’t the most difficult, just the hottest.

The next day’s ride, a half metric, the temps were nowhere near those highs. Yet, even though we rode faster during the half than the full, plus there were more hills per mile, my heart rate was considerably lower.

With this being my wife’s first metric century and the farthest distance that she has ever ridden by nearly 30 miles, I chose to stay with her during the entire ride – pulling 100% of the time. Pulling, however, doesn’t get anyone over hills, and it certainly matters little who is pulling when you’re only going 12 to 14 mph.

Bottom line, even though I took the lead, I credit my wife for enduring the excruciating heat and rolling hills, not to mention the extreme distance. We have zero hills where we train in South Florida, only small bridges and community speed bumps.

RIDE STATS:
Distance: 62.68 miles
Time: 05:18:42
Av/Max Speed: 11.8 mph/22.9 mph
Av/Max HR: 120/138
Av Cadence: 67
Elevation Gain:  856 feet
Av/Max Temp: 89.7/105.8F

No comments:

Post a Comment