Thursday, August 30, 2012

WHY I RUN

 
~ By Robert W. Joslyn ~
1997 Walt Disney World Marathon
During one of my recent predawn training runs, I came upon this individual who was slothfully leaning against a rather large oak tree. While keeping a watchful eye on his puppy, a tiny little thing that was searching for the perfect spot, the man was ingesting a morning dose of poison from a cigarette that was repulsively hanging from his mouth.

In my passing, he cynically murmured the question in my direction, “Why are you always running?” My inner sarcastic-self wanted badly to respond, “So I will not look like you." Knowing that such a comment would certainly be an unsolicited response, I chose to simply shrug my shoulders and run on by.

As my marathon training run continued, I realized that this person of enfeebled character opened up a question that could only be addressed with multiple answers. This very question has been one of great preponderance in my own mind on several long, arduous, exhausting runs.

The reasons for running are several and diverse, with not any one being more consequential than the other.

The majority of my runs are solo, with this silent solitude being a welcomed reversal from the typical assailment of unwelcome ado in my life. It affords me my time of contemplation and assessment. My thoughts, ideas, dreams and emotions are unimpeded by forces beyond my control. This is my time for expressing joy or sadness, for outwardly laughing at life, or occasionally weeping for less fortunate people than I - all without the feeling of embarrassment for letting my emotions surface.

Running is an exercise mastered or failed only by one self. The most expertise coach can only advise, but cannot render any assistance in the actual physical training. In competitive running, the person who initially reaches the finish line is inarguably the winner. There is nothing political, judicious, opinionated, or prejudicial about competitive running. You can either bask in self-exaltation, or you can cast the blame on yourself for not meeting your expectations. You’re in total control of your successes or failures.

I believe most competitive runners will unanimously agree that health may not be one of their principle reasons for running. Yet, the health benefit from running is a welcome result of our love for running, and is unassailably one of the finest avenues for good cardiovascular health. This can be achieved without the utilization of an expensive membership to a fitness center. There is no need to make four easy payments for a piece of exercise equipment that may eventually become an unwelcome dust collector.

My exercise equipment has been given to me from God, and is accessible to all at no charge. My running trails are numerous, and they are embellished from start to finish with nature’s finest decor. With its magnificent trees, seasonal flowers, and an occasional orchestral choir offered from the myriad of morning birds, this is a treadmill of perpetual magnificence.

Yet have I mentioned the camaraderie of colleagues who share in this love of running. To share with others, stride for stride and breath for breath, the titillation of achieving certain goals, is beyond description. To be uplifted, or to do the uplifting during a long run, is what it’s all about. Perhaps we could have the world take note and follow this example.

As long as I am blessed with the ability to run, I shall do so with a grateful heart. As long as I am able to run, my thoughts and prayers will be with those who are incapable.


No comments:

Post a Comment