Friday, September 21, 2012

DON’T B.S. ME RIDE

Not confident that anyone would show up for today’s group bike ride, mainly because of the weather radar, I slowly cruised around the shopping mall for nearly five-miles hoping that today wasn’t going to be a solo ride. Eight O’clock in the morning on a weekday is no time to be biking alone amongst the hurried motorists.

To my delight, two stalwarts did show up, tall Rey and not-as-tall Ron.

Big Rey is the cyclist that I like to ride behind. At 6’ 7”, he is perfect to draft behind. With me being only 5’ 7”, he gets very little draft off of me. Advantage: me!

This morning’s ride was a fun ride. We were not in a hurry, we relished riding when the cloud coverage kept the sun off our bodies, the average temp was a comfortable 80F, and we didn’t have to scramble for an outdoor table at the coffee shop.

We enjoyed our brief coffee-shop break up until some phony jackal decided to pull up a chair and then sit at our table – while carrying a large political sign printed with bold letters with a lime-green background. 

He’s for the “other” guy!

After about one minute of his exaggerated bull-crap, I suddenly felt the need to empty my bladder, put on my helmet, saddle up and then ride away. Come to think about it, that’s exactly what I/we did.

As we rode away on our bikes, I could still hear him babbling away.


Distance:28.53 mi
Time:2:13:28
Avg Speed:12.8 mph
Elevation Gain:125 ft
Calories:987 C
Avg Temperature:80.1 °F

No comments:

Post a Comment