Monday, December 31, 2012

NEW YEAR’S EVE BIKE RIDE

My last bike ride of 2012 began with the temperature at a comfortable 68 degrees, the wind blowing steady from the east between 15-20 mph with gusts to 24 mph, and the rising sun producing long shadows from nearby buildings and trees. When heading north, we could see our own shadows left of our road bikes.

At the ride’s end, the temperature shot way up to 73F. How dare it! Aside from the strong wind, though, the weather conditions were perfect for cycling.

There were eight in our group this morning. A good showing considering that today is New Year’s Eve.

Two riders from our group split from the rest of us early on to avoid a speedy ride westbound on Griffin Road. It was on Griffin that I reached my maximum speed of 24.5 mph. You can either hate the wind or love it. Westbound on Griffin Road, I loved it. But that love turned to animosity later on in the ride when we were heading east towards the Atlantic Ocean.

Our coffee-shoppe rest period was more or less uneventful. There were a minimum of pretty lady sightings and very few humanoids sitting at the sidewalk tables. Maybe everyone was home resting up for tonight’s shindigs.

After a long discussion as to which route we would take to get back to the car park, we opted to cruise through some of Weston’s bike lanes, continue east on State Road 84, a two lane road that parallels Interstate I-595, ride along the wide bike lane that is located on the north side of I-595, and then cautiously proceed southward on Flamingo Road all the way to Johnson Street in the City of Pembroke Pines.

It was at the intersection of Johnson Street and Flamingo Road where I said my goodbyes and Happy New Years to my cycling mates. It was also at that intersection where some of us picked up loose change from the roadway. I’m a dime richer for my bending effort.

My total cycling miles for 2012 was 5,356. Next year’s cycling goal is 5,500 miles with even more smiles that what this year produced, if that’s possible.

Happy New Year to all who take the time to read my cycling blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment