Friday, December 21, 2012

WINDY BIKE RIDE

My vigorous morning began at 7 a.m. riding alongside my wife for 3.25 miles while she did a training run/walk. Our pace was slightly below 5 mph for the 3+ miles, which is why my overall cycling pace for the 37 miles is only 11.9 mph.

After joining my four biking comrades at the car park, we chose a route that initially took us through the City of Miramar. We then headed north towards Davie and Weston, fighting the 20+ mph wind the entire way. The wind gusts reportedly were a tad over 30 mph. They felt like 40 mph.

After waiting in line for 25 minutes for our bagels and coffee (I had hot chocolate), and then consuming our drinks and food while sitting at a sidewalk table outside the shoppe, we continued northward towards the wide concrete biking trail that led us to Flamingo Road. Once on Flamingo, we veered left onto the safer service road that led us to Tom’s house. Tom had house guests, so he cancelled out on today’s bike ride.

While on the service road, with help from the wind I PR’d on Strava’s “Salute the Flag” segment. It was there that my heart rate took a leap to 163 bpm. For that reason, I am delighted that I’m still alive to share this story.

Bearing in mind that the world was supposed to end today before 1 p.m. EST, I’m pleased to convey to all of my DM friends that I am still alive and well. We are even planning another bike ride in the near future.

Anyway, after leaving Tom’s home, we jumped on Flamingo Road’s southbound bike lane and then rode the five miles to Johnson Street, which is where I peeled away from the pace line and made my way safely home. The others continued on to the car park, which is slightly over one mile from my residence.

Total elevation gain this morning was 396 feet and the average temperature was a comfortable 67.6F. They say that our temp is going down to 48F this evening.

It’s time to turn off our air-conditioners and open the windows.



No comments:

Post a Comment