Friday, December 14, 2012

NEW ROADS, GOOD TIMES

After refueling with an apple fritter, Dunkin Donut coffee and a chocolate frosted donut about 2/3rds of the way into the ride, I managed to ride in windy conditions for a distance of just under 48 miles, give or take a tenth or two. And many of those miles were on pathways that ran through county parks, on neighborhood sidewalks, along crapped up horse trails, and on the right side of several common roadways that were semi-clogged with horseless carriages of all sizes, shapes and colors. We also rode on the concrete bike trail that parallels Interstate 595/St. Rd 84.

Not content with our usual 25-mile out-and-back ride, Sandy came up with a plan to extend our ride nearly twofold. Tagging along was Tom, Greg, Steve and little old me. Ed and Ron headed back to the barn directly from our first rest stop, which was at mile 12.5. Sorry to say, they missed out on a fabulous ride on roads and paths that we’ve never traveled.

I thought we were going to be invited to an outdoor feast at a pavilion in Tree Tops Park, but the kind lady said that the party wouldn’t begin until much later. Darn! She did, however, take a nice picture of our honorable group with my dumb phone. The phone is only smart when a smart person uses it. Hey, what am I saying? It’s my phone.

All in all, it was a happy ride in beautiful Southeast Florida.

Taking the advice of an article that I read the other day about re-hydrating with chocolate milk, I am now sitting in my home office enjoying a tall glass of Almond milk mixed with Ovaltine. Oh, and I also have a small can of mixed peanuts by my side.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment