Tuesday, July 9, 2013

SOLO MTB PARK-TO-PARK RIDE

Entrance to the Nature Center
I made it! Hooray, hooray!!  I made it back to my truck (I was parked at my wife’s place of employment) just in time before the bottom fell out. Close call! I had just enough time to quickly wipe down the bike prior to placing the two-wheeler back into the truck.

And man did it ever pour when driving the four miles from my wife’s work place to our home. Because of poor visibility, traffic was at a crawl. I was surprised to see most motorists exercising caution during the downpour.  Good for them!

In all, I rode through four parks and passed by the entrance to another one.  The parks were Tree Tops Park, Robbins Park, Flamingo Gardens, Long Key Nature Center and Natural Area, and Vista View Park where Mt. Trashmore looms high and inviting.

Atop Mt. Trashmore looking east
I couldn't resist the mountain’s naive invitation, so I geared down the mountain bike and zoomed up the 8% gradient with the greatest of ease. It was during the long, laborious climb that my heart rate peaked at 120. My average HR for the entire 21-mile ride was only 88 bpm.  Needless to say, this was an explorer ride, not an aerobic-type ride.  

For the most part, this morning ride was on bike paths, horse trails and sidewalks. Only on brief instances did I need to enter onto a roadway. I’m learning that our county has numerous biking trails, something I’m discovering with each solo MTB ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment