Wednesday, July 10, 2013

MTB RIDE WITH THE ROADIES

Bob's MTB (Mountain Bike)
Not in the mood to ride fast this morning, the only day of the week when we typically pick up the pace, I rode my MTB to the meet-up spot knowing full well that no one would expect me to ride at an advanced pace. My plan worked!

Riding the 12 miles to the coffee shoppe with Ed and Rey, the slow ones in our group, was perfect. The ride was nice and slow, possibly reaching a high of 16 mph at one point. Other than that one time, our cruising speed was between 12 – 14 mph.
My wife running along Johnson Street

Oh, I forgot to mention that I rode alongside my wife for 5 ½ miles prior to meeting up with my wheel mates at the meet-up spot. My wife did another one of her run/walk training sessions around the shopping mall’s huge parking lot.

After enjoying our one coffee break in Weston, I was assured by Sandy S that if I rode back with the faster group, they would ride at a moderate pace, slow enough so that my mountain bike and I wouldn't be left behind. I agreed! Riding back with Sandy, Ron, Greg and Doug would give me a chance to show them a new route that I discovered during yesterday’s solo ride. They concurred, and away we went.

They really liked the new route, which had us cutting across an expansive area along a canal from Flamingo Road to Hiatus Road on a previously undiscovered asphalt bike lane.

Greg, helping Doug stand after crashing his bike on a curve.
We experienced one mishap during today’s ride, that was when Doug took a 90 degree turn too fast for conditions. It had rained previous to us entering the Rock Creek housing area, so the streets were still wet. Despite my word-of-caution to slow it down around corners, he didn't, which resulted into him doing a poor rendition of someone attempting to slide into home plate – on asphalt.

Doug is okay, by the way. His bike is fine, too. After brushing off his self and after we checked to see if there were any serious abrasions, he remounted and away we went. 

You can bet that from that moment on, he manipulated the remaining corners very slowly.  So did we!

No comments:

Post a Comment