Friday, July 19, 2013

LONG-DISTANCE MTB RIDE

Unwilling to venture out on most of the traffic-clogged roads during this morning’s scheduled group bike ride, I mapped out a 40+ mile sidewalk and bike-trail ride yesterday on RidewithGPS and then religiously followed the turn-by-turn directions this morning beginning at 7:20 a.m.

All directions and distances on my Garmin Edge 500 were right on the money, which I suppose is a plug for RidewithGPS and the Edge 500. I have to say in all honesty, though, I’m very impressed with the program’s ability to map out a ride. I’m also impressed with the Garmin Edge 500’s turn-by-turn instructions.

Anyhow, I did meet up with my wheel mates at the Weston coffee shoppe during my 1st of two breaks.

I took a brief 2nd break atop Mt. Trashmore where some of our locals fly their small model airplanes. There were no model planes being flown today because of the strong wind, but there were three van-loads full of preteens at that location doing what preteens do best, make noise. All in fun, though! According to the lettering on the side of the vans, they were from a local karate school. If nothing else, I felt safe in their company.

I suppose it was because of my MTB that today's 42-mile ride was fairly exhausting. That and the heat and wind were enough to slow down even a much younger cyclist.

With twelve miles to go, all directly into the strong wind, I spotted several buzzards gnawing on some road kill next to the sidewalk where I was riding. They looked to be a menacing flock of vultures, very hungry and determined to peck out a meal. Problem was, their morning meal was nothing more than a small possum that more than likely was hit by a passerby in a car – which made me think of myself and the fact that I was slowing and showing signs of exhaustion. 

Well, I have to tell you, the thought of being pecked by a flock of buzzards instantly motivated me to a level previously untapped. Suddenly my MTB was like a road bike, and the rider began putting the pedals to the metal.

All in all, this morning’s MTB ride was a gorgeous ride on many tree-lined sidewalks and bike trails. I was so in awe when riding through some areas that I found myself stopping the bike and then snapping pictures with my smart phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment