Saturday, June 23, 2012

NEIGHBORHOOD SIDEWALK BIKE RIDE

This was strictly a neighborhood city sidewalk ride that had me occasionally leaving the sidewalks because a significant number of inconsiderate city-dwellers had their motor vehicles parked on the sidewalks, which goes against our city’s ordinance. But who follows ordinances anymore, right? I believe this is one of those regulations that is seldom addressed by law enforcement unless someone complains to the police department or the city’s code enforcement office.

Anyhow, vehicles that are parked on the sidewalks block small children from riding their trikes or small bikes on the sidewalks, forcing them to go around the parked vehicle onto the roadway. Our elderly must also swerve out onto the busy roads, chancing being struck by an unsuspecting, passing motorist.

Continuing on with my off-topic cycling post, if you wish to assess your neighborhood, or a neighborhood that you wish to move to, Saturday’s or Sunday’s are the best days. During the week, when most home-occupiers are at work, is not a good time to critique the area where you live. The reasons are obvious!

And why do I occasionally do sidewalk rides that are slower than molasses rolling uphill during winter months? I like to make sure that my area is maintaining its value. Should I spot multiple homes in disrepair during my rides, more than my last ride or rides, then perhaps it is time to hire a realtor.

Did I mention that I have ridden one of my bikes (or stationary bike) 15 days in a row? No? Well, I’m mentioning it now. But my short rides pale in comparison to Chris Greig who is cycling all the way from Fairbanks, Alaska to Miami, Florida all by himself, averaging 155 miles per day. No SAG support or buddy system, just all by his lonesome. 

I’ve nothing but praise for anyone that can accomplish such a feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment