Friday, June 29, 2012

FRIDAY COFFEE SHOP RIDE

This morning’s bike ride, which was my 20th day in a row in the saddle, began with me riding alongside my amazing wife while she did a short training run. She wanted to run a longer distance but couldn’t because of her work schedule.

I then met up with the cycling gang at our usual meet-up spot. There were six of us today! After chatting for a time, all six of us headed northward on Hiatus Road in beautiful downtown Pembroke Pines, Florida – the tree capital of the southern hemisphere.

Instead of crossing busy Flamingo road at Orange Drive like we usually do, we turned north towards Interstate I-595. While riding on the service road that parallels Flamingo Road, I took note of several monstrous bulls walking around behind the wooden fence that borders the narrow road, obviously looking for the perfect sprig of grass to eat. Wearing a bright red biking kit with a red bike helmet, I couldn’t help but be somewhat jittery while passing by.

Just short of I-595, we turned west and rode through a mobile home park. We then made our way across I-75 (a brutal 3% incline), stopping at our usual halfway break, the infamous coffee/bagel shop.

Some of the guys had coffee and bagels, I ate a package of cheese crackers and a small pack of almonds - washed down by watered-down Gatorade.

We took a different route on the way back to the barn, which allowed us to pass several young ladies riding horses in a fenced off area to our left. They appeared to be training the horses to slowly gallop while dodging various obstacles.

We then rode our bikes on an asphalt horse trail that runs along a narrow canal, rode though our usual residential neighborhoods, and then back onto busy Hiatus Road all the way back to the shopping mall.

Actually, I turned onto my street just prior to the shopping mall – calling out to Sandy S to have a safe return back to the barn and a pleasant weekend. The others in our original group of six were probably a mile or so behind us.

Ride Stats:
Miles: 32.54
Time: 2:23:33.
Average Pace: 13.6 mph.
Average heart-rate: 111.
Elevation Gain: 115 feet.
Calories burned: 726  

To quote Porky Pig’s favorite phrase, “That’s all folks!”

No comments:

Post a Comment