Thursday, June 21, 2012

MILES AND SMILES AND RAIN

PavilionAfter sitting underneath a park pavilion for nearly a half an hour attempting to stay dry during a sudden downpour, I finally reached my riding goal of fifteen miles.

Once I noticed light raindrops on the surface of the canal that runs alongside the park’s circular road, I knew that I best make a mad dash for cover. And the nearest cover was an unoccupied pavilion that still smelled of charcoal from this past weekend.

Within seconds, a monsoon of sorts hit the 345 acre county park and surrounding area. I could hardly see across the way where I heard children laughing in a nearby pavilion. Their summer camp activities had briefly been interrupted by the heavy rain.

No need for speed on this ride, just miles and smiles. And that’s exactly what this solo ride was, a few miles with many smiles as I realized just how fortunate I am to be able to ride a road bike at my age.

I’m continuously grateful for everything that I’ve been blessed with, perhaps more so today while sitting beneath that small pavilion listening to the rain drops strike the metal roof. Freedom, good health, amazing wife, incredible daughters, awesome friends, abundant food, and a beautiful home to live in are but a few of the things that came to mind.

Oh, and let me not forget about my two precious, rollicking kitty cats that add even more smiles to this old man’s face.

What are you thankful for on this magnificent day?

Total miles today:  20.4!  Total smiles during ride:  Countless!

No comments:

Post a Comment