Monday, January 21, 2013

HOMESTEAD, FL BIKE RIDE

I left home at 6:45 a.m. this morning and returned at 5:15 p.m. this afternoon. In between those two times, myself and seven other cyclists did a 66 mile bike ride with a moving time of 4:45:26.

After driving my truck to Miami’s city hall and then meeting up with the other guys, we took off in the general direction of Homestead, Florida, which had us passing through Coconut Grove and the Redlands.

A quick stop at the sticky bun and strawberry farm proved to be to no avail because of the mile-long line. We agreed to skip the buns until we passed through that area after lunch.

When we arrived in Homestead at around mile 33, we decided to stop for lunch at a Mexican restaurant that had several outdoor tables set up underneath a large overhang. Our gang took two tables, four at one table and five at the other table. Oh, I forgot to tell you that we had a visitor at my table, a six month old kitten that just loved to rub against my legs. In return for his love, Sandy S and I fed the little critter some of the chicken from our enchiladas. I also gave him some re-fried beans – and he loved them.
Not too long after leaving Homestead on our way back to the city hall parking area, the sky emptied tons of liquid sunshine on us and our bikes. We were soaked from head to foot and then some. The pouring rain also made our return ride relatively dangerous while in traffic.

Another quick stop at the sticky bun place again proved to be to no avail. The line was even longer the second time around. We did, however, stop at a strawberry farm stand that sold the best doggone strawberry ice-cream cone that I have ever put into my mouth. It was still raining like there was no tomorrow, but we still licked those ice cream cones down to the bottom of the cones.

Still wet when we arrived back at the car park, and in a rush to place the bike back inside the truck, I forgot to turn off my Garmin Edge 500 when I threw my bike into the back of my Ford Explorer. The time and distance has been adjusted to reflect only the bike ride and not me driving my truck north on Interstate 95 through downtown Miami.

This was an exceptionally fun ride with a great bunch of guys.


For those of you that have wondered what the City of Miami, Florida USA looks like, the first and last part of this video shows me driving through the downtown area of Miami along Interstate Highway 95. The other seven minutes of the video has us riding our bikes through charming Coconut Grove and then through farmlands and nursery areas in the Redlands. Our destination was Homestead, Florida, the gateway to the Florida Keys and the Florida Everglades. For optimal enjoyment, please change the video quality to 1080p and then watch on full screen.


Video Link


Ride Stats:


No comments:

Post a Comment