Wednesday, January 2, 2013

FIRST BIKE RIDE OF 2013

I knew from the onset of this morning’s bike ride that I would be extending my normal biking distance to at least 40 miles. The only uncertainty was the fact that I took out my wife’s ’97 Bianchi Trofeo instead of my 2011 Felt Z6.

During the first twelve miles, the approximate distance from the car park to the coffee shoppe, I knew that I could easily endure the change of bikes. I did, however, have to adjust the height of the saddle even more prior to leaving the coffee and bagel shoppe.

Like all Wednesday rides, we have a fast group and a slow group. I opted for the latter simply because of the uncertainty of the bike. Come to find out, the fast group kept the speed at 20 mph or less most of the time. I could have done that ride!

After splitting from the group near the end of the group ride, about one mile from the car park, I made my way into one of our county parks for more miles.

Looping around the park’s perimeter road for eleven miles isn’t exactly what I consider exhilarating, but I refused to remain in the traffic areas while cycling solo. It just isn’t safe in this area. Our region may be the next thing to paradise, but our beautiful weather, palm trees and ocean beaches attracts the masses and their vehicles. In a nutshell, we have too many doggone cars on our roads. And half of them don’t know where the blazes they are going, or so it seems.

Speaking of our weather, the temperature was 66F at the beginning of this morning’s ride and 77F when I completed the 40.2 miles. The humidity was 58% and the wind was coming from the south, southwest at 5 mph. We expect a high today of 81F.

I’ll think about turning on the central-air when it hits 80F.

Above is a picture of this morning's cycling group.  I'm the guy on the left wearing the Spider Man kit.   



No comments:

Post a Comment