Friday, January 25, 2013

FIRST SOLO BIKE RIDE

How cool is that, dropping off my wife at her work place and then going for a solo bike ride along horse trails, sidewalks, canals, through parks, and then up the steep incline of Mt. Trashmore?

After coming up with a wonderful idea how to do a bike ride while my wife works today’s four-hour afternoon shift, I placed my road bike, helmet and cycling shoes into the truck and then drove her to work. After parking the truck in Wal-Mart’s huge parking lot, and then kissing her before she walked into the store, I began my first solo bike ride of any significant distance.

Not really having a route in mind, I initially rode along a canal on an asphalt trail that runs east and west from I-75 to St. Rd. 7 (441). Stopping just short of University Drive, I took a quick U-Turn, turned right on Nob Hill Rd, and then rode into Tree Tops Park. After doing some loops inside the park, I rode almost all the way to I-595. Too much traffic, so I took another U=Turn, zig zagged through some trails and then ended up at the intersection of Flamingo Road and Orange Drive.

From there, I rode along another horse/jogging trail, ending up in the 272 acre Vista View Park where Mt. Trashmore loomed. Yep, I had to ride to the top just to get a view from what used to be a county landfill. I've got it all on the digital video camera.

After cruising down the hill at 23+ mph, I rode around the park’s trails, around the huge residential block that lies just north of the park, and then east on the trail that runs parallel to Orange Drive and the canal.

Nice relaxing ride at a pace that was comfortable for the road/trail conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment