Saturday, January 5, 2013

CYCLING CLUB GROUP BIKE RIDE

Saturday morning's bike ride was a group ride with the cycling club that I've been a member of for the past two years.

Our cycling club has two rides every weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

On this charming South Florida day, I chose to ride with the intermediate group (14 to 16 mph) instead of with the larger and faster advanced group (18 to 20+ mph). The deciding factor was my abhorrence for fast pace-line cycling, when drafting becomes a necessary evil.  That type of cycling at those speeds are way too dangerous in my opinion, especially since the skill-level and experience of certain cyclists are questionable.

Our smaller group of seven, which consisted of four ladies and three gentlemen, was about 1/5th the size of the faster group. But that’s okay, because in my opinion we were better looking, which I feel is supported by the picture above.  The larger group, however, also had its share of awesome-looking women.  I've learned that cycling seems to attract pretty ladies.     

There wasn't a whole lot of wind during today’s ride.   But when it was blowing in our faces, it seemed like I was pulling the pack. Not always, but mostly. I really didn't mind, though, because it made me look like a cycling he-man in front of the pretty petite ladies. Laughingly, I'm sure glad they couldn't see me huffing and puffing at times, especially when crossing the Stirling Road I-75 bridge.

During our 32-mile ride, we took one 10-minute rest at one of our popular grocery stores, Publix Market. This particular store was located right off of Glades (Named after the nearby Florida Everglades) Parkway just south of State Road 84/Interstate Highway 595. And for our convenience, the thoughtful people of Publix had a picnic table directly in front of the store just so we would have a place to rest our weary bodies. Nice people, those employees of Publix.

Near the end of this morning's ride, it just about broke my heart when we were compelled to ride over a bunch of loose change in the bike lane along Flamingo Road. The fast-moving traffic more or less dictated that we not stop for the shiny silver coins. I’ll remember where they are, though. Next ride, those coins are mine!

Average temperature during the ride was 71.2F.  Perfect!

Video of Ride

Ride stats via Strava and Garmin Connect:

No comments:

Post a Comment