Wednesday, May 15, 2013

SLOW, SAFE BIKE RIDE

This morning I chose to ride with Ed. Rey and Gary, all intermediate class riders.

For safety concerns, plus my unwillingness to ride fast in a pace-line, I opted out of the advanced ride in favor of the slower ride. 

It’s not like the faster guys are dangerous to ride with, but it’s a fact that speeding in a tight pace-line can be dangerous to your health. On the other hand, so can riding with individuals that refuse to stop at stop signs, insisting on wiggling their way to the front past cars that are already stopped at traffic signals, and riding with guys that do not slow down when turning onto busy roadways.

Even though I rode with the slower group to the coffee shoppe, after our coffee break I rode back to my ending point alone. Instead of taking the usual route back, I wanted to ride on the bike trail that runs alongside the South New River Canal. The others didn't!  The narrow asphalt bike path extends all the way from Vista View Park to 441, a distance of nearly nine-miles.      

I love going slow along the canal looking for alligators and other reptiles that make the canal their home. No gators spotted today, however, only turtles and Ibis'.

Ironically, turtles and I have one thing in common – we’re both slow. The only difference is, I’m slow by choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment