Sunday, April 14, 2013

SIDEWALK BIKE RIDE WITH A MIXED BAG OF SIGHTINGS

There are two facts that were confirmed this morning during my 16-mile sidewalk bike ride.

A: Numerous road bikers are arrogant, inconsiderate, and they ride with no regard for the laws. I haven’t the time to get into all of the particulars, but suffice to say that this morning I witnessed many infractions, rude gestures, and downright stupidity. During one instance, I almost witnessed two cyclists get wiped out by a car coming up in the right turn lane. Had there been impact, the cyclists would have been at fault – yet they gave the car the finger. Talk about wonderful public relations. I’m not making this up!

B: Motorists can be just as arrogant, especially those who beep their horns simply because the car in front of them doesn't jack-rabbit forward whenever the traffic signal turns green. Those very same arrogant motorists were more than likely on the way to church. In fact, I’m positive one of them was by the way the family inside the car was dressed. Maybe they were late for the sermon, one that they need to listen to and heed.

Anyway, other than what I witnessed throughout my sidewalk ride, I thoroughly enjoyed the morning. And my overall pace wasn't that much slower than when I go out with the guys during the week on the roads.

Some of the more passive sightings this morning were a little grey squirrel that stood alongside the sidewalk on his hind legs waving at me as I passed, diving mocking birds, Ibis’ scurrying for worms in the grassy areas, Blue Jays looking for prey, Sparrows flitting about, and an old fat duck slowly crossing the sidewalk right in front of me. There were also a bunch of dogs being walked by their human owners. In passing, I learned that the dogs were friendlier than the owners!  Imagine my surprise!

Average temperature during my ride was 77F and there was a cooling breeze coming in from the south. Not too many clouds, just a beautiful clear blue sky as seen in the two above pictures. All of our colorful sub-tropical flowers were in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment