Thursday, April 4, 2013

FAT TIRE BIKE RIDE ON SIDEWALKS

Not wanting to ride my road bike in traffic all by myself, and not wanting to ride my road bike on sidewalks, some of which are broken, uneven and missing concrete squares, I decided to break out my ’95 Sears Comfort bike. My plan today was to ride at least ten miles on nothing but sidewalks and bike paths.

First off, my alleged comfort bike is more of a discomfort bike compared to my Felt road bike. For starters, I can’t stand riding a bike with platform pedals. I cannot tell you how many times my feet slipped off the platforms.

Next is the saddle, or why don’t we rightfully call it the concrete block. If the world’s leaders would ever get serious about controlling the world’s run-a-way population growth, all they would have to do is insist that all the males sit on that damn thing for an hour or two a day. I’ll guarantee you, folks, we would finally witness zero population growth.

Anyhow, I ended up riding on nothing but sidewalks for a tad bit over fifteen miles. Notwithstanding the discomfort in my lower region, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. During the nearly two hours of riding, I did not come across one wanker behind a wheel. Everyone was courteous at the intersections and cross walks, a rarity in this region of the world.

Seriously, I am now in the market to purchase a decent hybrid bicycle for touring, something with 700 X 32’s tires or similar! During the days that I don’t road bike with my cycling mates, I would love to explore this county and the counties north and south of me. But the exploring would have to be on sidewalks and what few bike paths we have available. I don’t mind sidewalk riding at all, nor do I mind the slower speeds. I envision packing some foodstuff and rain gear on the pannier and then doing some 100+ milers.

One thing, though. The new hybrid would have to have a soft, cushiony saddle. That, my friends, would be my number one priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment