Saturday, April 6, 2013

SANIBEL ISLAND BIKE RIDE


We did something different today, my wife and I.

Early this morning, shortly after six o’clock, we hopped in our truck loaded with our road bikes and then drove across state to Sanibel Island, Florida. It was a good 2 ½ hour drive, give or take a minute or two.

After stopping for a quick breakfast at a McDonald’s off of I-75, and after applying sunscreen in the parking lot of the same McDonald’s, we then drove across the bridges from the mainland to Sanibel. It was a gorgeous drive across the waterway.

We both were in awe at the height and gradient of the first bridge. I can’t imagine cycling across a bridge as tall and steep as that one, but one day I’m going to do just that. My wife said that she’d pass on that ride.

After parking our truck in the visitor center’s parking lot, we crossed the busy street to begin our 26 mile journey on nothing but tropical-adorned bike paths. Except for the very north end where bike paths or lanes are absent, we traversed the island from one end to the other, stopping along the way to take pictures of the Gulf of Mexico and the people that were enjoying the beautiful day as we were. A nice young lady cyclist volunteered to take our picture while we stood next to the Gulf of Mexico. I love how bikers stick together.

On our return trip home, we stopped at a Denny’s Restaurant for lunch and desert - large salad for my wife and turkey sandwich for me! Regarding the ice-cream/strawberry/hush puppies/whip cream desert, I ordered it, yet we both dug into that scrumptious jewel like there was no tomorrow. We called it “Replenishing spent calories.”

It’s been a wonderful day in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment