Wednesday, October 17, 2012

NORDIC WALKING

Welcome to my inaugural Nordic Walking workout.

Expecting to walk just a few steps around our condo area, basically out of sight of most humanoids, I surprised myself by walking outside our gated community so that all of South Florida could catch a glimpse of the old man walking along the lake with his new Leki Walking Poles. Well, no one honked their car horn at me, so I guess I didn’t look too stupid – just a little stupid. After all, Nordic walking isn’t exactly widespread in the good ole USA. At least not yet!

I have to say that walking with poles is unlike regular walking, in that you use you your upper body as well as your lower body. I’m sure once I get the form down I’ll feel more comfortable walking with poles versus walking without. My first time out, however, I felt mildly awkward, especially when the poles would bounce up on the uneven sidewalks. And we have plenty of those in my town.

Anyway, I’m well pleased with the pace, seeing as though I barely broke a sweat. Maybe the 100% cloud coverage and steady wind had something to do with that. Ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment