Sunday, October 28, 2012

1/2 DOZEN MILES OF WALKING

This morning’s walk was done at an overall pace that is acceptable by most marathons and half marathons. There are exceptions, Walt Disney World running events being some of them.

The first mile, however, was around two minutes slower than the other five miles because I spent a good amount of time clearing the sidewalk of all debris generated by Hurricane Sandy. Knowing that my wife will be beginning her long run early tomorrow morning on that very sidewalk, I didn’t want her tripping over twigs and palm branches in the darkness.

As I was removing a large palm frond from the sidewalk, some guy that was running on that walkway thanked me. I thought that was very kind of him.

Just past mile 3.6, I ducked into the fitness center for a forty-five minute weight-machine workout. The gym itself was nearly void of humans. Only cycling room, where they play loud music and pump stationary bikes until they reach near-death status, was full of upright Homo sapiens.

Feeling really good after 3 ½ miles of brisk walking and 45 minutes of pushing and pulling, I decided to walk through our neighboring gated community just to get in some extra miles.

Enjoy the day, and may your football team come out the victor – unless you are a NY JET fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment