Friday, September 13, 2013

DROPPED AND FORGOTTEN

I wouldn’t think too much of it had it happened only once or twice in the past. But being dropped continually when cycling with presumed friends, all because of red traffic signals, traffic in general, stop signs, mechanicals, etc., tells me that it’s either time to ride solo or find a more loyal group of cyclists to ride with. I’m leaning towards the former.
 
Anyway, I was left behind this morning at the very first traffic signal, which is only ¼ of a mile from the meet-up place. I refused to ride through a red traffic signal in a school zone just to remain with the other three. And yes, they knew that I had to stop at the red signal.
 
Once the light turned green, I took off in a sprint mode. After riding relatively fast for two miles attempting to catch up, I then chose to give up the chase and do a few miles by myself on mostly sidewalks. Here in the big city, it’s never wise to bike alone on the roads during rush hour traffic.
 
In summary, I need to emphasize that they never pulled over to wait for me nor did they call my cell phone to make sure I was okay. Nice, huh!?
 
One thing I would like to make clear, though, is that the guilty individuals do not include everyone in our group. Sandy S and Ron S, both absent this morning, will always pull over and wait until you’ve caught up - without making the one that was left behind go into a sprint mode. I, also, would never consider leaving anyone behind or making them sprint to catch up. To me, that’s just common courtesy.
 
I understand that Sandy S cut his ride short this past Wednesday for the very same reason. I was in Disney World with my wife during that ride.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment