Sunday, November 3, 2013

FOUR-CITY MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDE

When I was setting back the clocks one hour last night, I knew I would have to leave an hour earlier on my rides so as not to be riding in the sun too long. I also heard on the weather forecast that the wind would be picking up today shortly after daylight.  And that it most certainly did.

Leaving our gated community right around 6:35 this morning, the same time my wife left for work, I began riding a course that I had created on RidewithGPS a few weeks ago. They have a ride creating program that actually gives you the turn-by-turn directions on your Garmin Edge 500’s small screen.

Unlike most of my rides, I started off by heading south with the wind at my back. That must have been the calm before the storm, so to speak, because much of this ride was right into the steady 15 to 20 mph northerly wind. Even though I was riding on the trails and sidewalks with my mountain bike, that strong of wind was definitely a hindrance – but a good workout for the legs.

This morning’s course took me through the cities of Miramar, Southwest Ranches, Cooper City and Pembroke Pines. And I have to tell ya, I was really surprised when I found some awesome biking and running trails in the City of Miramar’s western housing area. I found them only because yours truly took a wrong turn when the bright sun was making it difficult to read the directions on my Garmin Edge.

Despite the strong wind, the weather was perfect, with clear skies and an average temperature right around 74F. Any way you look at it, it was a pleasant day for a bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment