Tuesday, August 23, 2011

RECOVERY DAY SEVEN

Day seven of recovery was measurably easier than the first six days, mainly because I sat in the main juror room of the Broward County Courthouse from 7:30 AM to nearly 4 PM. Just so you know, sitting for hours is not one of my favorite things to do, especially when you haven’t a clue when you’ll be released or if you’ll be selected for a multi-day trial. Even being selected for a one-day trial would have been distressing.

I wasn’t selected for a jury, but it was a close call when I and several others had to stand before a judge during his selection process, hoping all along that he didn’t find favor with us for his upcoming 7 to 10 day civil trial. The extra-long trial was at his admission. Can you imagine sitting in a jury box for up to ten days, possibly longer? On a trial that was to resolve a dispute over land development in the Bahamas?

Anyway, during much of my wait in the main juror room, I stood or walked around the vast room just to stretch out my legs and back.

Our one allotted break lasted one and a half hours, and that was for lunch. Instead of going off the courthouse grounds, I elected to walk across the hallway and then purchase a $9.65 cheese burger combo in the court house’s lunch room. Included in that price was a 20oz bottle of vitamin water and a very large Snicker’s bar. The candy bar ended up being the highpoint of my meal.

As the day lingered on, more and more people became restless and began circling the hundreds of seats like I had been doing. In a devious sort of way, it was comical watching the other potential jurors squirm in their cushioned seats, eventually getting up and walking around like restless rats in a large box. The masses were becoming restless and impatient.

Driving home during rush hour is another story all together. Imagine I-595 at peak rush hour exacerbated by the enormous construction project.

I was glad to get home! And I’m doubly glad that I no longer have to serve as a juror because of my age. And to think that I never realized that turning older had a bright side.

No comments:

Post a Comment