Wednesday, August 24, 2011

END OF RECOVERY?

After walking moderately-fast yesterday for one mile with no soreness in the knee joints, and then biking today for 29 miles without a hint of discomfort in the knees, is it safe to say that recovery is over with? Can I put all of this reclamation of normality nonsense behind me and get on with life – at least my athletic life?

Even though yesterday’s power walk was split into two sessions, one half-mile each, with weight lifting taking its proper place in the middle, neither half mile revealed any issues with the knees. I haven’t a clue what will occur whenever I extend the distance to anything significant, but I do know that for the first time in weeks, walking did not feel agonizing. That’s the good news!

What’s the bad news? None! Nada! Nothing!

What I might want to consider is my future cycling distance and cycling intensity. It was long-distance biking that got me into this mess in the first place, along with high-intensity cycling. Let me not forget how intense some of my bike rides ended up being.

Today’s ride, a mere 29 miles at a snail’s pace, was just what the doctor ordered. We did not attack the bridges and we did not fight the strong wind (outer bands from Hurricane Irene) that was in our face much of the time when we were returning to the mall. We took our time, chatted while riding and more than likely burned more calories talking than we did pedaling.

That’s okay, isn’t it? Isn’t this biking thing supposed to be all about having fun in the great outdoors? Is it okay to slow down and smell the roses?

It is for me! And that, dear reader, is the honest truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment