Monday, August 15, 2011

OVERUSE INJURIES

Without a doubt, there are some ups and downs in this chosen lifestyle of biking, running, power walking, swimming and strength training. 

In all the years that I’ve subscribed to such a lifestyle, which are too many years to count, I’ve encountered many more ups than downs, though.

The only down side of passionate exercising, marathon running and ultra-distance cycling is overuse injuries. At any rate, that’s the way I see it!

One such case is what I’m currently experiencing, all due to overextending my mileage on the road bike. At least that’s my opinion and I believe the opinion of my orthopedic medical doctor.

Along with upping my road bike mileage, I’ve found myself riding much faster than when I began this two wheel challenge over one year ago. By much faster I’m talking 7 to 8 mph faster now than what I was accomplishing June of last year when I began seriously biking. If someone told me last year that I would be averaging over 17 mph while biking over twenty miles, I would have told them that they were nutty.

Anyway, there evidently is a price to pay for my sudden increase in intensity and distance. I’ve been averaging well over one hundred miles per week for the past few months.

The price is wickedly brutal and discouraging. After undergoing a steroid injection in both knees yesterday, I find myself again recovering from overuse injuries.

The injections, although not cruelly painful, are painful in the respect that I find myself sitting on the sidelines while my friends continue riding and running. That hurts!

But I’ll be back in short order with renewed passion.  I promise!  Determination along with patience will have me back in no time on that shiny road bike and back on the road with my lovely wife and remarkable friends.

Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment