Saturday, March 17, 2012

MIAMI, AMISH PECAN STICKY BUNS, HOMESTEAD AND STRAWBERRIES

Hooray, another metric century under my belt.

I have to say that today’s metric was the easiest that I have ever done mainly because all other completed metrics were in Florida’s hill country and not in the flatlands like todays ride.

Meeting us at city hall and then riding 40 km’s with us was Rosemary B, who I believe was one of my very first DM friends beginning well over a year ago. Rosemary is visiting this area from her main home in Indonesia. Thank you, Rosemary, for riding with us. We loved having you! And thank you for doing what you do, which is helping many of the people of Indonesia.

Riding through the Coconut Grove area was simply out of this world, with the areas huge mature trees forming canopies over most of the residential roadways. I often had the feeling that I was cycling through nature’s natural tunnels.

One of the highlights of today’s ride was our stop at an Amish farm somewhere between Miami and Homestead. I must say that those pecan sticky buns that we ate were delightfully delicious and very filling. Because they were so sticky, I thought it was going to be necessary to pry off the pecans and sticky stuff from my teeth.

Once we arrived in the city of Homestead, we lunched at a Mexican restaurant somewhere in the middle of town. I’m not too much into Mexican food, so I left half of my meal on the plate. Shame on me! 

Three GU’s and two granola bars, however, served to keep me fed and energized throughout the ride. I also had eggs and English muffins at home prior to leaving for this morning’s ride.

After leaving the Mexican restaurant, we rode the sidewalks in the downtown area simply because there was no room on the roads for motor cars and bikes. I believe it took us a full nine minutes for that first return mile, which kind of knocks the heck out of our average cycling pace. 

But who cares, this was a leisure ride and nothing else.

When returning to the Miami City Hall area, which is just south of downtown Miami, Florida and a stone’s throw from Biscayne Bay, the vehicular traffic was brutal and the drivers insane. Why are people in such a hurry that they would risk life and limb of bikers?

It’s an angry world out there, folks.

It’s also a beautiful world out there. 

That’s why we are what we are –bicyclists.

No comments:

Post a Comment