Monday, June 7, 2010

TRAINING UPDATE

Our search for Armadillo hard-case road bike tires resulted in a purchase of equally durable tires this past Sunday.

Even though I wasn’t totally resolute in buying the name brand “Armadillo,” but was determined to buy new hard-case tires for their durability and puncture resistance properties, I chose to buy a pair of Trek Bontrager Race Lite Hardcases.

After speaking with the Bike America mechanic, I felt even more confident that these new tires would equal or surpass the Armadillo’s positive Internet reviews. He promised they would, and a promise is a promise in my eyes.

The Trek tire reviews are very similar to Armadillo’s reviews, in that the tires are next to bullet proof, have an adequate lifespan, are great for dry road usage as well as moderate off road use, but may lack traction when sharply curved roads are wet and the bike is traveling at a high rate of speed. Number one, I don’t go fast – number two, I don’t plan on biking in the rain. So much for the downside of the tires!  In either case, I'm anxious to try out these new tires on a long ride.

My running, and I do mean running, is coming along better than it has since the spinal stenosis prognosis slowed me down to nearly walking only. I credit this enormous improvement to increased core training. Now that I notice the improvement, I’ll do even more core exercises. Regardless of the improvement, I intend to take it easy and not let my newfound confidence spoil my long-term marathon career.

The swimming is coming along okay but not great. This is strictly my fault for not swimming consistently and often. A recent lack of motivation has decreased my desire to endure anything remotely uncomfortable or strenuous. This must change, and it will.

All in all, considering that we were away on vacation for one full week, the tri training is coming along as scheduled. The summer heat and humidity isn’t helping, but that comes with the territory. If triathlons and marathons were easy, more than only 1% of the total population would be doing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment