Monday, June 21, 2010

APPROACHING STORM

Doggone it all, I honestly believe Monday could have been the day.

I fully realize that when one signs up to participate in an athletic event, be it a marathon or a triathlon, or even a measly 5K, one cannot pick and choose the weather or whether or not they will even feel like doing the event when the day of the event arrives. You first sign up and then you hope for the best.

Monday, the 21st day of June, 2010, would have been the perfect day had it not been for a fast-moving rain and lightning storm coming in from the east. I saw it coming with my very own eyes, albeit two eyes that were peering through a bicycle helmet and two very tired eyes that were still stinging from yesterday’s clammy 10 ½ mile run on the beach boardwalk. But I did see it, nonetheless. And it was headed toward the park fast and furious.

That being the case, I quickly gave up on the idea of pedaling a total of 56 miles and ultimately completing all three half ironman disciplines in my very own county park and condo swimming pool.

Oh, I haven’t given up on the challenge. No way! I just decided that after biking 20 miles earlier in the morning, and feeling strong, continuing on in CB Smith Park with the storm approaching would have been too dangerous. After reading in the newspaper this week about a local gentleman that was killed while riding his motorcycle in Colorado, killed by a direct lightning strike, I decided to play chicken and settle for 20 miles.

But the nice thing is, I never signed up to participate in any event, at least not a group event. My half ironman is one that I’m making up on my own, in my own neighborhood park, on my own road bike, and in my own chlorinated swimming pool.

And I’ll do it when that perfect day rolls around.

But until that day rolls around, I hope to be getting some additional bike training by becoming a member of the Team Memorial Cycle Club 101. I’m anxious to join the group on Saturdays for multiple-distance bike rides in Southwestern Broward County.

No comments:

Post a Comment