Wednesday, June 30, 2010

TRIATHLON TRAINING

Between the many intricacies involved in swim training, the correct road bike ergonomics and the proper form and gate while running and speed walking, triathlon training can become quite complicated, even overwhelming. That is, if you allow it to be. We don’t!

After viewing a short video of myself while swimming one lap in our condo’s swimming pool, I couldn’t help but notice a bit of choppiness in my stroke and kick. Noticeable also was the slight raising of my head when rolling and breathing, a definite no no when swimming.

Swimming, if done properly, is supposed to be smooth and nearly effortless. Whenever you see someone generate too many bubbles and splashes when swimming, or they have a need to lift up their head to breath, rest assure they need some additional swim training.

And where better than the Internet can you find some free instructions? I was overly impressed with this one site that promotes Total Immersion style of swimming, aka TI.

Although swimming is an essential life skill, traditional teaching and coaching methods have made it difficult to master because they teach an awkward, exhausting style of swimming. Total Immersion is a fool proof approach to teaching, brings results far faster than conventional methods, and helps any student master a fluent, efficient and beautiful technique.

After one self-coached lesson in the pool this morning, I am sold on TI, and so is Janet.

In only one lesson, Janet is using less energy, which translates into saving oxygen, and she is moving through the water with greater ease and going faster. With Janet it was a simple matter of eliminating the drag and slowing down her stroke – and nearly eliminating any energy-wasting kicking.

In regards to kicking while swimming, if you’re swimming a 100 meter race, by all means kick like hell the entire distance. If you’re into long distance swimming where energy conservation is necessary, you basically want your legs to draft behind the truck of your body. Visualize yourself as a barracuda or dolphin slicing through the water.

My corrections were much simpler than Janet’s. After watching the video of myself and noticing that I needed to relax my neck, arms and hands, my stroke this morning felt and looked more efficient. I’ll know better whenever we make and view another video.

After watching a few Internet biking videos, I immediately made some minor adjustments to my road bike. I’m anxious to try out those adjustments tomorrow morning in CB Smith Park, when I will be shooting for 35 to 40 miles.

As far as the running and speed-walking goes, no adjustments or further coaching needed. We’re good to go on the walking and running as long as we are not troubled with overuse injuries.

Everything in moderation!

No comments:

Post a Comment