Monday, May 3, 2010

BIKING

Down with the bike seat and up with the handle bar, anything to make the bike more comfortable during miles and miles of peddling in the county park.

I fully realize that bikers legs should be fully extended when on the down peddle. I also realize that the most brutal part of biking, at least in my opinion, is leaning forward supporting your upper body with your hands, arms and shoulders while grasping the handles of the handle bar. And this doesn’t even take into account the crook that one gets in their neck during this exaggerated leaning. After all, the rider must look forward to see where they and the bike are headed.

Racing bikes are specifically built to have the rider lean forward, resulting in less wind resistance. I get it! I can even buy into this for shorter distances, but certainly not for 56 miles or more!

Try sitting upright in a chair and then leaning your head backward to view what’s directly behind you. Remain in this awkward position for one or two hours and see if you don’t come out of the trial with a crook in your neck.

Up to now, I have ridden my bike four times, 10, 20, 25 and 30 miles respectively. My legs are fine during and after each ride. The only biking concern so far has been the uncomfortable ride due to the old bike seat and the required leaning. The bike seat has since been replaced.

Like I said, “Down with the bike seat and up with the handle bar.” I’m hoping this alleviates the problem even to a small degree.  I would prefer to have more quad strain than neck strain.   



1 comment:

  1. I heartily agree! I recently bought a 'comfort' bike, figuring I'll be more likely to ride more often if I'm not crippled by the experience. Velo! Velo!

    ReplyDelete