Saturday, May 15, 2010

BIKING ON A WINDY DAY

Why is it so difficult peddling a bicycle on a windy day? I fully realize that a stiff breeze generates additional resistance against the bike and rider. But my goodness, even when you change course or direction, it seems like you’re always riding against the wind. Am I the only one that has experienced this?

During this past Friday’s forty-two mile training ride in our local county park, the steady swirling wind hampered any chance of achieving a respectable mph pace. As much as I tried, the wind speed would slow down the bike to a crawl, resulting in a pace that would embarrass even a small child on their tricycle. I may be slow apart from the wind, but averaging a pace of 12 mph is totally unacceptable.

On the other hand, why should I care what my final pace is as long as the mileage is achieved legitimately and within most event cutoff times?

To be honest, I’m never going to sign up for any event that calls for swimming in bodies of water other than a filtered swimming pool. No way! If it’s all the same, I’ll keep my body out of murky, polluted, shark & gator infested bodies of water. And besides, I would resent having other triathletes kick me in the head just because my swim pace might be slightly slower than theirs.

It's like I was explaining to my wife the other day during a casual three-mile walk: "People's priorities change over time."  What was of utmost importance a year or so ago may no longer be important.

Take speed for instance. Moving my body from point A to point B as quickly as possible used to be my number one priority. Now my number one priority is to move my body from point A to point B and have fun doing it without speed being a factor.  And I believe I'll live longer and be healthier for it.   

No, I’m not after a fast time. I’m doing this only to have a good time during my initial attempt at completing all three disciplines in our GPS-measured, neighborhood, Bob and Janet sponsored half ironman event.

1.2 mile swim? Should be no problem! 56 miles on a bike? Brutal but doable! 13.1 miles of constant power walking? On any given day!

Did I mention that this particular park has five low-grade hills, all five transcending well above the roadway elevation, further ruling out any chance of a fast pace?

Excuses, excuses, excuses…

No comments:

Post a Comment