Sunday, February 14, 2010

THE MEDAL

Who could have imagined? Who could have predicted such an outcome? I mean, seriously, given the importance and popularity of such an event, who could have foreseen such a triumphant ending? Not even me, or my lovely wife, or anyone else for that matter.
But it did happen, despite my pre-event anxieties and weighty running attire. Forty-degrees at the starting line prompted most of us to dress Eskimo style.
Shocked but proud, I came home this morning toting some hardware around my neck, a beautiful gold-plated, first-place inscribed medal proudly hanging from a colorful lanyard, just for winning my age division in a 5k footrace.
Receiving such a medal, on stage for all to see, was a genuine high. I’ve yet to come down!
Oh, did I fail to mention that I was the only runner in my age division?

(Today's event was put on to raise funds for the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital located in Hollywood, FL)

No comments:

Post a Comment