Saturday, February 13, 2010

THE MAILBOX

It was the mailbox and its new contents that prompted me to go outside.  I’m glad that I did!   
       
When walking down our exterior stairway, one couldn’t help but notice the stunning red hibiscuses over to the left, showing off their splendor to whoever seeks the beauty that bestows all who pause, even for a twinkling.  

Quaking from the north wind, surrounded by their greenish colored peers, the blossoms appeared to stare back with approval.  There would be, I hope, even more blossoms tomorrow.    
  
The sun, although fading in the western sky, shined its light upon the pedals with delight, promising to return tomorrow from the east.  The sun has never failed, that I know of.  

Walking along our walkway, a solid concrete path that leads to the cluster of mailboxes, I notice a grey squirrel scampering up the trunk of one of many oak trees, and then suddenly stop to stare in bewilderment.  Eyes wide open, short fur ruffled in the breeze, the squirrel then made an even quicker dash back to the manicured terra firma, but only after I peaceably passed and its safety assured.    

One can only assume that the squirrel was grocery shopping the way squirrels grocery shop.  My wife prefers to search the aisles, so sayeth she.  I cannot disagree with her reasoning.  

Even though empty of anything useful, the mailbox gave me reason to once again notice my surroundings.  I look forward to the next delivery.

After properly discarding the unwanted advertisement, only one today, I again gave pause by gazing out across our community swimming pool area, a tropical area now devoid of grownups, umbrellas, and laughing children.  Summer promises to bring about a transformation – albeit a rather noisy one - and I’ll be swimming my laps before the masses awaken.

Life is grand in this sub-tropical paradise!          

          


No comments:

Post a Comment