Saturday, February 18, 2012

BICYCLE CRASH

Wednesday afternoon at 5 PM, I joined two others from Team Memorial in Brian Piccolo Park for some laps in the park’s fenced-off area.  The area is fenced off specifically for bikers that wish to do laps.  

I felt great up until some asshole, inexperienced biker slammed into my right side when he attempted to pass me on my right side (strict rule: Never pass another cyclist on the right) as he was turning left. He had maybe two feet of usable pavement on my right and a good 20 to 25 feet of pavement on my left, yet he still made his move on my right.

When he cut in front of me, the left side of his rear tire slammed into the right side of my front tire, forcing me to topple onto the pavement at an approximate speed of 15 mph. Big OUCH!

Lots of road burn, plus, I landed on my right shoulder and right hip. Both hurt, as you can imagine.

And to make matters worse, I rode my bike to this park (3.7 miles from home), which meant that I had to ride my bike back home – in the dark of night.

Rule number 1 through 100: Never, ever ride with inexperienced cyclists.

You can bet that I'll never break that rule again.

X-rays show no breaks.  I already had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon yesterday at 1 PM for an unrelated issue, so he went ahead and did a series of X-rays even though they had nothing to do with why I was there to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment