Monday, December 5, 2011

HUMPTY DUMPTY

I admit to being somewhat negligent regarding my writing and blogging. But darn it all, sometime a man just doesn’t feel like sitting still at a computer conveying bits and pieces of his physical fitness sessions or lack of. I’ll try to do better!

What can I say other than I’ve continued to be active on my road bike but negligently inactive in the gym, and that’s not necessarily a good thing.

As we age, it is of the utmost importance to keep our bodies’ strong, if for no other reason just to keep from being needlessly injured should we take a fall. I’ve promised myself that as of this week, beginning today, I shall pick up the pace in the gym even at the expense of missing a bike ride or two. And I hate missing bike rides with my cycling buddies.

Semi depressed over not being able to race-walk or run any longer, I tried one last time to race-walk at an acceptable pace, and I did this test in Century Village way up in West Palm Beach while visiting my mother-in-law.

I wish I could report that all went well, especially since I’ve now completed all five lubricating knee injections. But the truth is, at mile 1.7 I had to end the test because of pain in the left knee. For once I listened to my body. The right knee was fine!

It is what it is and I’ve finally had closure on any thought of running or walking any type of running event, from 5K’s to full marathons. For now, that is! Should a divine miracle be granted, I would consider making an attempt at walking my tenth in a row ING Miami Half Marathon in latter February. Only time will tell!

Early last week when I was following my wife on my road bike while she was running and walking around the mall on their reprehensible sidewalks, she took a fall just as she began the transition from walking to running. Thanks to uneven sidewalks on the south side of Pembroke Lakes Mall, along with the sun that was shining directly into her eyes, she fell on the concrete injuring her right arm and shoulder, not to mention her pride. She did, however, manage to pick herself up from the ground after we assessed the extent of her injuries.

After significantly decreasing her pace the last mile and a half, she prided herself in finishing a run despite the embarrassing fall. My wife is one tough, determined lady.

However, never again will she run or race-walk on those bloody mall sidewalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment