Sunday, September 25, 2011

SATURDAY’S TEAM BIKE RIDE

In spite of promising myself that I would stay off my road bikes for two weeks in anticipation of rehabbing my aching knees, Saturday I loaded up my newest road bike and associated cycling equipment and then headed for our cycling team’s Saturday MEETUP place.

After joining many other bike club members at 7:30 a.m., I cycled strong for over 26 miles, completely oblivious of the fact that I have a 5K and a half marathon to walk/run in seven days.

I must say that I’ve never felt so strong on a road bike. Obviously, the one week hiatus from biking did my legs and knees a world of good.

Choosing the 16 to 18 mph pace group to ride with instead of the slower 14 to 16, or the faster 18 to 20, my choice turned out to be slightly less than what I was capable of. Near the end of the ride, I found myself slightly behind the fasted pace group and well ahead of the 16 to 18 pace group. It’s amazing what rest will do for the body.

Finishing the 26.6 miles in one hour and thirty minutes, my average pace of 17.6 mph turned out to be a personal best. Had it not been for the myriad of traffic signals and other cycling obstacles that continually decelerated the peloton, my average pace would have been near or at 19 mph.

Regarding that 5K and half marathon that loom large, I really must take it easy for the next five days in hopes of entering both events injury free. Taking it easy doesn’t mean that I have to forego all exercising; it simply means that I need to stay away from any intense riding or walking from now until the actual events.

Sometime that’s easier said than done!


No comments:

Post a Comment